Checklist for writing instructions:
- Do your instructions include a description of the audience and situation for the instructor/reader? (This portfolio task requires that you specify both of these!)
Is there a need to list the tools required for the procedure?
- Are the steps in your procedure well structured without any gaps?
- Have you defined the terminology you use? Have you used clear, simple language?
- Do your instructions include relevant graphics/ diagrams?
- Have you made good use of headings?
- Do you need any special notices or warnings?
Also see the following two excellent guidelines for writing instructions:
M. E. Guffey, "How to Write Instructions," [Online document], 27 April 2001, [cited 2002 October 17], Available HTTP: http://www.meguffey.com/BCPP4/Supplements/Supplement_A/sectionA4.html
D. A. McMurrey, "Online Technical Writing: Instructions," [Online document], [cited 2002 April 2], available HTTP: http://www.io.com/~hcexres/tcm1603/acchtml/instrux.html#checklist
© 2001 TUT Language Centre /